Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Possible Projects

Ah, I can't help but feel like there are several possibilities to take on. So, because of my indecisiveness, I'll just list out the two ideas that I have:

1) YouTubing Whitman Remix -- Nature's Candy
Huh, the title sounds a lot more cutesy-cool than what it probably is. Anyway, I'm not really savvy when it comes to taking and editing videos, but I feel  more welcome in the realm of photography. I really wanted to choose another location for my video, but couldn't due to lack of transportation and the will to walk half an hour on a cold day. That aside, I would love to take on a longer excerpt from the poem (if not the entire poem, if the project requires such ambition) and combine it with a slideshow of images taken by myself within the sphere of my hometown, the city of Hercules -- all to capture the natural essences that Whitman has entwined in "Song of Myself". I really love the idea of using images (or anything visual) to bring more out of a poem's imagery. It does feel sort of contradictory to go with "showing" rather that "feeling" what Whitman wants to convey; nevertheless, until it is possible for us to be able to actually be within the pictures we take, this will have to do! Whitman's details of natural scenery really do paint a beautiful picture and, at the same time, do not lose sight (or touch) of its reality; the beauty comes not from dreamy clouds or spores, but instead from solid soil and grassroots. Thus, if I can take on trekking to the beach by the bay, the hidden forest, the dirt paths near and across the train tracks, it would not only be a fun field day of taking digital pictures, but it would also feel like a rough adventure through nature.

OR

Instead of "Song of Myself" I could also look into "Song of Occupations" or even "Calamus" (since it's a fresh new seed of thoughts in my mind). This could be even more helpful -- what kinds of images does Whitman evoke from nature to support his ground-breaking notions? Are they "consistent" (I say this rather objectively since a poet's style can change over time, but there's still that unique voice) with each other in other poems?

2) Motif: The Three Images of God
It may not seem that way, but I feel like there's plenty more to look into on this particular motif. When I did this project, I was looking for blunt and obvious mentions and references to God and religion, but what if there were subtle subtexts that relate without outright stating it? (What if any garden scenery could relate to the Garden of Eden?). I also want to include more stuff about the church and any roles it may play, and maybe, too, include some background information on how religion was practiced and thought of during this particular time -- and what about during, before, and after the Civil War, too? Overall, the treasure hunt of quotes feels unfulfilled and could use some more excavations -- the fun part about looking for quotes (or looking for artifacts) is finding new meanings and depths and explaining their signifying characteristics. In the end, if Whitman is claiming the cosmos and also explaining that one's own "specialness" is beyond that, then there may be a question of religion, and that spark may have set off flames -- that's also something to look into.

No comments:

Post a Comment